SPLASH Art Coordinator - Arts Umbrella
Permanent Full Time: 35 hours per week (Flexibility to work some evenings & weekends)
Arts Umbrella is where young artists ages 2–22 cultivate their creativity in Dance, Theatre, and Visual Arts. As a non-profit organization for arts education, we believe that art is powerful. Powerful enough to change kids’ lives in incredible ways. When young people connect with the arts, they gain self-confidence, develop self-discipline, and discover creative expression—things they carry with them for life. Arts Umbrella has four locations in Vancouver and Surrey, as well as donor-funded programs at schools, community centres, neighbourhood houses, and healthcare facilities across Metro Vancouver. We reach close to 21,000 students every year, with nearly 80% participating at little to no cost.
Now celebrating its 40th year, Arts Umbrella will be moving into the South Building of the former Emily Carr University of Art + Design on Granville Island in late 2019. This exceptional opportunity will allow Arts Umbrella to further our vision for a better world where all young lives are inspired to pursue a lifelong journey towards self-expression, compassion, and humanity. It is our mission to be Canada’s leader in arts education for young people; to build community and deliver profound life experiences through our commitment to innovation, excellence, and inclusivity. Arts Umbrella is an organization full of heart, where self-expression and creativity are valued and nurtured.
Reporting to the Manager, Annual Giving, and working collaboratively to contribute to the overall success of the Development team. The role of the SPLASH Art Coordinator encompasses the following:
- Lead the Splash Art Collection art acquisition committee process, coordinate photography and manage all the Live & Fine Art artists and their donations.
- Coordinate and manage teams of volunteers to support Arts Umbrellas signature events (Splash, Pendulum Gallery Exhibition and the Arts Umbrella Invitational), and occasionally other Arts Umbrella events.
- Support to the Special Events team.
Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Volunteer Coordination
- Acts as the central coordinating point for volunteer management at Arts Umbrella including recruitment, orientation, training and management of all volunteers on site and at company events.
- Develop and maintain an annual volunteer engagement plan, including volunteer opportunities.
- Organize employee engagement opportunities for corporate partners, as required.
- On-site coordination, training and management of volunteers for two signature events – Splash and the Arts Umbrella Invitational.
- Oversee and manage volunteer stewardship and recognition programs.
- Develop and maintain relevant policies and procedures essential for a comprehensive Annual Giving operation. ( Volunteer Program Specifically)
- Identify internship opportunities with post-secondary programs, manage applications and successful applicants.
- Identifying and tracking all volunteer tasks and hours.
- Splash Art Acquisition & Art Catalogue
- Lead Splash Art Collection art acquisition process, including coordinating all processes related to solicitation of auction donations in order to meet revenue targets.
- Support committee meetings, prepares documents and reports in advance, distributes minutes.
- Orients and supports committee volunteers with their auction donation solicitations.
- Coordinate Art Catalogue production, including photography and written content to graphic designer.
- Collect all necessary information for the art catalogue include artist bios, work photographs, values, dimensions and appraisals.
- Support and nurture Arts Umbrella’s relationship with local artists and galleries
- Splash Pendulum Gallery Art Exhibition
- Work with the Splash Curator and Pendulum Gallery team to coordinate set up and strike.
- Coordinate with Arts Umbrella art storage and moving suppliers for setup, storage and take down.
- Recruit, schedule and train volunteers for set up, exhibition and takedown.
- Receive, wrap and store art leading up to Splash and Pendulum Gallery.
- Coordinate any necessary documentation, framing, and repair of artwork.
- Work with the Splash Curator to coordinate set up and take down of Art Collection.
- Coordinate artist gifts.
- Coordinate movement of artwork and art walls with Arts Umbrella art storage and moving suppliers.
- Coordinate post-event functions including thank you letters and tax receipts to artists, auction item delivery and/ or pick up, payment processing, financial reconciliation.
- Manage relationships with key Splash sponsors.
Our SPLASH Art Coordinator has the proven ability to multi-task successfully in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of attention to detail, superb organizational skills and the following must have qualifications:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three 3-5 years of volunteer coordination and fundraising experience.
- Demonstrated success in developing annual volunteer engagement strategies.
- A successful track record of working with internal and external stakeholders including engagement and retention of volunteers and committees.
- Keen interest in the local BC arts community and building relationships with the local artist community.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising related databases; proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work independently and participate collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proven ability to set and achieve goals and monitor priorities while remaining flexible.
- Good listener who is intuitive, perceptive and insightful, with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Some evening and weekend work is required.
How To Apply
If you have what it takes and are looking for a great opportunity to work within a forward-thinking organization, send your resume and cover letter, in one document, to: email@example.com no later Sunday, January 27, 2019 indicating SPLASH Art Coordinator in the subject line. We will review resumes as they arrive and schedule interviews when appropriate.
Arts Umbrella thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.