Being able to read, understand and interpret financial statements is valuable to anyone involved in fund development.
If a prospective donor has simple questions about an organization’s financial statements, it is important to be able to show a basis understanding of the statements and the organization’s finances.
Financial statements for charities and not-for-profit organizations are often more complex than statements for similar sized “for-profit” organizations. Rather than having a focus on “profit”, the purpose of financial reporting for charities and not-for-profit organizations is accountability and transparency.
Humanity Financial Management President & CEO Gordon Holley will deliver a one-hour presentation titled “How to Read and Understand Financial Statements for your Small to Medium Non-Profit or Charity.”
- What should I be looking for in a Statement of Financial Position (or Balance Sheet)?
- What should I be looking for in a Statement of Operations (or Income Statement)?
- How is a Statement of Cash Flows different from a Statement of Operations?
- What roles do external accountants play in our financial reporting?
- What roles do internal bookkeepers and accountants play in our financial reporting?
- Which financial reports should board members and senior staff be receiving?
- Are we required to have an Audit? When is it OK not to have an Audit?
- Why is the Revenue Recognition Policy so important? How does it effect the financial statements?
- What is a Reserve? And why should every NFPO and Charity have one?
- What is the difference between externally restricted assets and internally restricted assets?
Humanity Financial Management
Gordon Holley is the President and CEO of Humanity Financial Management Inc. As a CPA, CA for almost 25 years now, Gordon loves helping individuals and organizations that are trying to make the world a better place. In his role at Humanity Financial, Gordon sees the stress and anxiety produced by finances and financial reporting for many not-for-profit-organizations (NFPOs), charity board members, and senior staff. He excels at providing financial oversight to small to mid-size NFPOs and charities to help them better manage their internal finances and financial budgeting and reporting. Ultimately, his company hopes to instill confidence and credibility in organizations by streamlining their internal financial management so that they can focus their energies on their programs.
Gordon has chosen to work in the NFP sector because he believes that it has not only the biggest opportunities for improvement, but includes the added bonus of being filled with the people he enjoys working with the most. He says, “Life is too short not to feel like you are making a meaningful contribution and working with people that you really enjoy.” He is happy to leverage his company’s financial expertise to make a meaningful contribution to people and organizations that are trying to make the world a better place and finds inspiration from the individuals who work tirelessly for their causes. “Many people think that working with numbers is dry and boring,” he says, “but I ultimately work with people – and I love it when I can make their lives easier and less stressful. Working with numbers allows me to do that and I love it.”
Gordon has accumulated significant board experience over the last 25 years and currently serves on the following boards: • West Vancouver Community Foundation – Vice-chair • Vantage Point Strategies Society – Director • Non-profit CPAs - Director He also facilities financial governance workshops for charities and not-for-profit organizations through Vantage Point and leads the Certified Non-profit Accounting Professional program in Canada.
This education session is worth 2 points towards CFRE accreditation or re-certification.
Early Bird Cost (Register by November 1st, 2018)
Member Early Bird - $40.00 + GST = $42.00
Non-Member Early Bird - $55.00 + GST = $57.75
Cost (after November 1st, 2018)
Member - $45.00 + GST = $47.25
Non-Member - $60.00 + GST = $63.00
**Only 50 seats available!
Date: Thursday, November 29th, 2018
7:00 - 7:30 am - Registration, breakfast and networking
7:30 - 8:45am - Welcome and Presentation
8:45 - 9:00am - Q & A
Location: The Coast Hotel and Convention Centre, 20393 Fraser Highway, Langley, BC
Parking: Large parking lot available at no charge.
Please note Refund / Cancellation Policy:
- All cancellations 3 weeks prior or greater = $10 or 10% processing fee (whichever is greater)
- All cancellations between 2 weeks prior to 48 hours prior = $10 or 50% processing fee (whichever is greater)
- All cancellations within 48 hours prior = zero refund
*Registration for this event is now closed. If you would still like to register, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org*